Tuesday, April 15, 2008

FIELD NOTES #1

my mother was
always angry because she felt
denied of something on a far deeper
level. her bitterness
soaked her at the
root & discoloured
her heart.

in this way i am
recurrently possessed
by sudden rage -
i feel
the same liquid
sloshing in my gut,
the same hoary frost
over my heart,
creeping down my
arteries -

>>

my father spent
most of his time
sitting in a cave,
highlighted by its
weird greenish light.

i became obsessed
with the theory of
black holes & watched
the sky over our
house for any sign
of one. i saw many
things, but failed to
find even a clue.

(how was i to know
that deep in our basement,
lurking a box marked
"OLD CLOTHES," was the
seething singularity
that i sought?)

after the hurricane
came, there was no
trace of my father.
we searched for days
among the splintered,
fallen trees. in one -
a hornet's nest - my
first sting, between
thumb & forefinger.

No comments: